hdl Certificate of Advanced Studies – Designing strategies and projects for Humanitarian Action
Are you a humanitarian middle manager with at least 2-3 years of experience? Do you wish to reflect on your experience and to improve your practice? Discover our new Distance Learning Certificate of Advanced Studies - Designing Strategies and Projects for Humanitarian Action.
This 8 months certificate aims to reinforce the knowledge and skills necessary to confront current challenges faced by humanitarian actors working in complex environments. The course emphasizes on adaptive and flexible strategies and projects. It focuses on your working situations and enables you to reflect on your current practice as you learn.
This certificate takes into account the three major contexts for humanitarian action: armed conflict and complex emergencies; “natural” disasters; and social exclusion. In addition, the relationship between humanitarian and development aid will be given due consideration.
The certificate is delivered in partnership with Médecins Sans Frontières, Groupe urgence réhabilitation développement, Handicap International, Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, Sphere Project, Transparency International, Conflict Dynamics International, Centre for Humanitarian Psychology, United Nations Development Programme, UN Refugee Agency, International Committee of the Red Cross, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and Assessment Capacities Project.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM THIS COURSE
At the end of the CAS, you will to design and adapt humanitarian strategies and projects in line with the specificities of each context.
You will provide coherent flexible and creative humanitarian responses taking into account ethical issues, context prerogatives and the organization's mandate.
8 months distance-learning, including 2 residential weeks in Uganda.
"One of my motivations to apply to the CAS HDL, besides being a distance-learning course [...], was its two-week field component. While online courses are suitable for people living anywhere in the world to have access to excellent professionals otherwise not available in their home countries, adding a face-to-face session builds on your networks, facilitates direct interaction with tutors and allows us to apply theory into the reality of that particular place, centering people at the heart of our actions.
The CAS HDL has helped me not only to acquire new skills, but also to increase my self-confidence as I can apply the tools in my workplace in a more qualified manner."
Lorena BRAZ, 2016 student CAS HDL Designing Strategies and Projects
For you as a student / professional
- Study and learn from your own context, combining studies and work
- Define your own learning objectives based on current challenges
- Work directly in your own professional environment, on your own challenges
- Develop a personalised learning pathway: choice of sequence, choice of options and choice of resources
- Develop an action plan and implement it directly in a work situation during the course
- Be coached in the implementation process
- Improve remote communication skills and learning autonomy
- Create a community of practice
For your organisation
- Have trained professionals addressing current professionals issues
- Define your learning objectives with your manager based on your job position’s challenges
- Reflect on organisational processes with an academic perspective
- Network at the institutional level
- Save time and money
- Learn from other organisations experiences
- Combine individual learning process and organisational change management
- Participate in the evaluation process on the content of the CAS regarding the challenges faced by the Humanitarian Organisations